Withdrawal of six SBS Transit premium services July 19, 2008Posted by hafizbam in Route Amendment.
Tags: City Shopper, Premium Bus, SBS Transit
A total of six premium bus services will be, or in the case for two of them, have been withdrawn this weekend as ridership figures do not seem to meet the minimum targets for these expensive bus services to be run. They are:
– Premium 537 from Jurong West Avenue 5 to Shenton Way
– Premium 540 from Corporation Drive to Shenton Way
– CityShopper 551 from Hougang Avenue 8 to Orchard Road/Suntec City
– CityShopper 575 from Bedok to Orchard Road/Suntec City
– CityShopper 577 from Ang Mo Kio to Orchard Road/Suntec City
– CityShopper 580 from West Coast to Orchard Road/Suntec City
While demand for the two Premiums from Jurong may be weak as many people residing in those areas would most probably be working in the Jurong/Tuas industrial estates, it is interesting to note that Premium 536 from Jurong West Street 91 which is even further west, is still running.
As for the CityShoppers, the withdrawal comes as no surprise as the empty buses cruising down Orchard Road daily are evidence of their low demand most probably due to other cheaper yet convenient alternatives. The 551 for instance, may provide doorstep service for Hougang residents, but it loses out to the cheaper and faster NEL trains thanks to the never-ending CTE jams. The CTE is also probably the reason for 577’s demise as there is quite a large commuter pool within Ang Mo Kio itself.
Regardless, the wthdrawals come only shortly after the LTA publicised the existence of 75 premium bus services to date, above the target of 72 by the Transport Minister.